Saturday, February 19, 2011

Strider SMF

  Lets talk knives. Knives are fun, they cut stuff (I have some nasty scars from unfortunate accidents, not so fun). I like knives because they are an every day tool for anyone willing to think outside the box. Well, with a knife you can cut your way out of that box. *Insert some rant about crazy tree huggers that don't think you should even carry a pocket knife here* Back to the useful knife thing. You can cut open letters, chop veggies, stir your coffee and gut a deer all before noon and with the same knife if you wish. I was recently told I should get an executive job because I have expensive taste, I am not quite sure what that means but I do like nice toys or um, tools.
  I was browsing through gunbroker one day and decided to see what sort of Strider knives people had up for sale. It so happens a new SMF was listed so I started watching it. The auction ended with no bids, the knife was then re-listed the next day. I took this as a sign from G*d that I was meant to own this beautiful Strider SMF with a digital blade. It became mine.
  These blades retail for right around $500 new. They have an S30V blade with a titanium handle with black G10 scales. As you can see this one also had the digital color on the blade, I believe it a $25 option. These are some of the sturdiest folding knives I have seen. It had great lock up with the blade and there was no wiggle room where the blade attached to the handle. These knives are shipped from the factory with an edge you could shave with, be it your arm, face or legs. Whatever you don't mind loosing if you slip. (Don't shave with knives kids, it is a fun way to demonstrate just how sharp your knife is but its dangerous)
  Now the first picture really does not depict this knife too well. I had never held one before I bought it so I did't know what to expect. I knew the dimensions and specs on the knife but that can be deceiving. Here is a picture to give a better understanding.



  As you can see this is no slouch. That does lead to some problems if you want an EDC knife. I found that for myself the knife was just too large to carry comfortably in a pocket every day. As a tactical, hiking, camping or utility knife it would be great. If you can stick it in a pack or on a vest it shouldn't be too hinder-some and should come in very useful. I love Strider and they make a great knife but I would recommend going for one of their smaller models such as the SNG if you want a knife to carry in a pocket all day long.
  Well, I traded the SMF for another knife, a fixed blade. I figure if you are going to carry something that size you might as well be carrying a fixed blade. For a pocket knife though I down sized to another great brand, a Spiderco Paramilitary plain edge. It also has an S30V blade and a black G10 handle. It seems just as sharp and retails around $120. The best part is it fits in my pocket and I wont feel bad if I scratch it or dull the blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment